Avoid Kitchen Fire with these Home Fire Safety Tips from Home Fire Insurance
Did you know that cooking fires are the most common causes of home fires and home fire injuries? Having a home fire insurance may help pay to repair or replace your home and its contents if they are damaged by fire.
Fire Insurance California prepared these safe cooking tips that can help you avoid fire in your kitchen.
- Wear tight-fitting clothing that cannot drape over flames or into pans.
- If you have long hair, tie it back.
- Do not place oven mitts, hand towels or hot pads on or near the range.
- When you are done cooking a meal, double-check to make sure that all appliances are turned off.
- Unplug portable appliances when they are not in use.
- When cooking on your range, turn on the vent hood fan to minimize any smoking.
- If your gas range does not light on its own, be extremely careful when lighting it.
If The Event Of A Fire:
- Turn off the gas or electrical appliance that is fueling the flames, if possible.
- If the fire is in a pan on your range, cover the pan with its lid or a baking sheet. If this does not work, use a fire extinguisher or sprinkle baking soda on the pan.
- If you are cooking with oil and it catches fire, DO NOT pour water on the flaming pan. This will make the fire worse.
Never place metal dishes or tin foil into the microwave, since it can cause sparking. If your microwave does spark without metal inside, turn it off and unplug it. Appliances that spark or give you shocks may be defective and in need of immediate repair.
Being mindful while you cook can go a long way to helping prevent kitchen fires. To make sure your home is protected from fire, talk to Fire Insurance California today at (844) 234-5600 to discuss your homeowners insurance needs!